dash

Tuesday, May 22, 2018

This needs to be addressed

I've always thought I was bilingual growing up. Years later  I found myself struggling with words. This began when I started listening to Indonesian or Malay songs. I found myself misinterpreting and misunderstanding a lot of things as much as I found the music great and beautiful. Then, I found myself all stressed out with my Indonesian maid. I kept having to translate words in my head everytime I wanted to talk to her. It was so frustrating because there were times I just couldn't understand her and I couldn't make her understand me. Now, I am struggling raising my kids bilingual because my Bahasa Melayu vocabulary isn't that great and recently, Yusuf was exposed to Malay cartoons like BoBoiBoy and I cannot make him understand why some expressions are not acceptable when talking to anyone in general. Today, Shu made me realize that the show expressed a lot of anger and frustration because the characters were constantly in battle. How am I ever gonna raise my kids bilingual when I myself am not bilingual? Shu is helping a lot but he's also teaching me at the same time :-/

No comments: